critical reflection

 Module Learning

At the start of this module, my two personal goals are to improve my articulation in impromptu speeches and be more comfortable when speaking in front of a big and unfamiliar crowd. Over 13 weeks, this module has empowered me to step out of my comfort zone and tackle my weaknesses. The various class activities that Professor Blackstone organised had enabled me to improvise and express my thoughts, helping me communicate my ideas with my classmates effectively. 

My key takeaway from this module would be attempting to write a summary reader response. The assignment gave me an opportunity to interpret and shed a different light on the article I chose, allowing me to reflect on my understanding of the text and express my ideas in my own words. Through the different assignments and peer evaluations given by my classmates and Professor Blackstone, I believe I have progressed well to grow into a more competent communicator. For instance, I noticed that I took pride in my language use more frequently. I have been using APA citations in my technical reports for other modules and double-checking my sentence structures before submitting my work. 

All in all, this module has given me the platform to be able to express my thoughts fully by being clear and concise in my professional writing. The numerous opportunities to present, read aloud and share during class allowed me to build my self-confidence in public speaking and enunciate well in my speech. With the knowledge that I have grasped over these 13 weeks, I will continue to hone my communication skills and strive for the best of my potential. 

Project Learning

In our research project, our team had decided to research more on energy consumption in Singapore. We came up with our proposal which is to install solar panels on the roofs of the depot to utilise clean energy in Sentosa, to Sentosa Development Corporation. This occurrence has made me understand the significance of effective communication and teamwork. 

As I was assigned to be the leader of my group, organising and planning meetings were a bit of a challenge as my team members and I are all from different tutorial classes. However, my team managed to have sufficient time to complete all of our necessary tasks with proper communication. Despite the difficulties we encountered throughout the project, we had worked collectively well as a team; taking into consideration of everyone’s strengths and weaknesses, from the initial stages of our research to the preparation of the team presentation and report.

Coming from diverse backgrounds, our team had understood each other’s differences better and allowed each other to voice out any concerns or problems that we had during the assignment, enabling us to work well together without any hiccups. Thus, I am thankful for every one of them as well as my lecturer, Professor Blackstone, for his constructive feedback and nurturance. From this unforgettable project experience, I will apply these beneficial skills such as having empathy for each of my team members and be open to different opinions in the future.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a letter from me to you

the importance of communication skills for engineers

summary reader response #2