a letter from me to you

Subject: A self-introduction letter 

Dear Professor Blackstone, 


My name is Duanghathai Sonna, but you can call me Leah. I am honoured to take this pleasure to introduce myself to you. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in 2020 with a diploma in civil engineering with business, and I am currently attending Singapore Institute of Technology, majoring in civil engineering. It was the combination of my very own explorations, along with the guidance my lecturers have provided me while I was in school, that confirmed this discipline of engineering is the right path for me.


Besides my academic aspects, I have a few hobbies that contributed to my self-development. In the field of sports, I was appointed as the vice-captain in the school's soccer team, where I had the opportunity to lead a group of women back in my polytechnic days. From that leadership role, I tremendously sharpened my communication skills and that definitely helped me become the assertive speaker I am today, which I humbly recognise as one of my strengths.


As I always believe in striving for self-betterment, I hope to refine my public speaking skills, especially in front of a big crowd. I would stumble over my words and refer to my speaker notes more often than I should. These shortcomings have been areas that I would like to tackle as having speech fluency and engaging eye contact are critical elements of an enchanting delivery. 


My two personal goals are to improve my articulation in impromptu speeches and be comfortable with feeling uncomfortable, specifically in the realm of public speaking in a big and unfamiliar crowd.


The quote, 'I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' by Maya Angelou is a saying I hold close to my heart. As I continue to hone my communication skills, I hope to convey the right words to bring about positive emotions and impacts while inspiring others around me as I speak and write. 


Ending off this letter, I hope to bloom to my best potential and since being under your nurturance and teachings for this trimester — I know I will. 


Sincerely, 

Leah 

Comments

  1. Thanks a million, Leah! I look forward to reading this letter and learning more about you, and to seeing comments from your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah,
    I think this letter was very well written. It reflects your style and personality, you are not afraid express yourself. You definitely nailed the 7Cs.
    Good job! (((((:
    Regards,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my letter and thank you for your feedback! Let's work hard so we can ace this module together :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Leah!

    I loved how you exude girl power in stating how you worked with a group of women in a fun sport AND quoted the great Maya Angelou. On top of that, the vocabulary used in the letter such as 'refine' and 'bloom' really speaks to the essence of your unique writing. Pleasant read!

    See you around campus! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabrina, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my letter and thank you for your flattering feedback! Let's work hard so we can ace this module together :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Leah, I am totally impressed by how you wrote your self-introduction letter. I can relate you with a self-confident person. Hence, I think your letter has achieved the 7'Cs. You also used the quote which can be easily understood by the readers. Overall, I think this is a good self-introduction letter. Let's work hard together to tackle our weakness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ming Ze, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my letter and thank you for your feedback! Let's work hard so we can ace this module together :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Leah, your letter was really engaging and the quote was also very inspiring. Your goals are clear and I think you can achieve anything what you set your eyes on in the future. I also think I could learn a thing or two from your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my letter and thank you for your feedback! Let's work hard so we can ace this module together :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Leah,

    Thank you Leah, your letter is very interesting and engaging. I love the flow of the letter, it was very smooth and once i started reading I am able to easily digest what you wrote because of the clarity of the letter.

    I am able to relate to your problems in public speaking, I too stumble with my words at times when public speaking and stumbling with my words will throw me off leading me to refer more towards my notes losing focus of the audience. One way i cope with the stumbling is to act like nothing wrong happen and continue with my speech.

    Overall I believe that you have fulfilled the 7 C’s of communication with clarity being the most outstanding in your letter. I hope that through this effective communication module i will get to know you better and work on our problems together.

    Best regards,
    Stanley Quek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stanley, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my letter and thank you for your feedback! Let's work hard so we can ace this module together :)

      Delete
  7. Dear Leah,

    Thank you for this fluent, detailed introductory letter. You cover the parameters of the assignment and illustrate with clear examples in such a way that the letter is richly informative. I'm particularly impressed by the polite ('humble') explanation of your communication strength in terms of leadership and the honest reflection on your weakness in speaking to crowds. (Of course, you'll have more opportunities to speak up in class and present this term.)

    You also do a fine job of reveiwing your educational background and inspiration for engineering, although I wonder what you means by the phrase "my very own explorations."

    At the same time, I'd like to know why you (and your family?) opted to come to Singapore rather than remain in Thailand. You English is certainly fluent, so I was wondering if you use Thai at home or not.

    I look forward to reading more of your writing and learning more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone,

      I'm glad you enjoyed reading my letter. Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate you taking the time to read all of our letters and giving us feedback as well. I will be applying your recommendations into my improved letter.

      I look forward to learning more from you this term.

      Warm regards,

      Leah

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the importance of communication skills for engineers

summary reader response #2